Sogoya India
Do you need outside help to work out carbon credits and net zero, or can a company do it in-house? (6 อ่าน)
28 ก.ย. 2569 13:33
<p dir="ltr">Our management has started asking how we should approach climate targets, and I'm trying to work out what is realistic before anyone makes a decision. The big question is whether this needs outside specialists or whether a normal operations team can manage it.
<p dir="ltr">Here is what I've pieced together so far.
<p dir="ltr">Most of the guidance says to begin with measuring. You work out your emissions from your own fuel and processes, from the electricity you buy, and from your suppliers. Without that baseline, any net zero plan is guesswork.
<p dir="ltr">The targets are the confusing part. The EU and the US talk about net zero emissions by 2050, while India's national goal is net zero emissions by 2070. I don't know which one a company should plan around. A company that exports to Europe may have to follow the earlier timeline whatever the national date says, especially now that the EU border carbon rules are in their definitive phase.
<p dir="ltr">Then there's the credit side. As I understand it, one carbon credit stands for one tonne of carbon dioxide that was reduced or removed. Under India's compliance scheme, industries that beat their emissions targets can earn a carbon credit and sell it to those that miss. Companies outside that scheme seem to have a separate voluntary route through registered projects. I can't tell how hard it is for a company to register a project and get credits issued.
<p dir="ltr">I also see the phrase "carbon offset" used loosely. My understanding is that a carbon offset should cover only the emissions you can't cut. Some people say they simply off set carbon and leave it there, which sounds too easy.
<p dir="ltr">What I can't judge is where in-house knowledge runs out. Measuring emissions seems doable with good records. Verification, choosing quality projects and understanding the rules seem harder.
<p dir="ltr">Some questions for anyone who has been through this:
<ul dir="ltr">
<li>Which parts of a net zero plan can a company reasonably handle itself?</li>
<li>At what point did you feel outside expertise was worth having?</li>
<li>If you did get help, what should a company look for so it doesn't overpay for something vague?</li>
</ul>
<p dir="ltr">I'd like to hear from people who did it in-house too, including what went wrong.
Sogoya India
ผู้เยี่ยมชม